Monday, March 17, 2014

It Takes A Village


An old African proverb says, “It takes a village to raise a child.” Well, I say “It takes a community to straighten out an adult.” Fair enough.

The Bible talks about community and friendship over and over. Look and see what God’s Word says:

Proverbs 27:5-6
Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!

John 15:12-15
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

Proverbs 17:17
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Proverbs 13:20
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Hebrews 10:24-25

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Galatians 6:2
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

And there are more. Many more. Needless to say we are NOT meant to live in isolation. We are made for community - for accountability, discipline, encouragement, rebuke, support, comfort, discipleship, and love.

Getting healthy is no exception to the need for community. It takes a lot of people to whip ME back into shape. And I am one grateful servant.

It takes people asking about my exercise plan. Others who inquire as to what I ate or didn’t eat in a week. My family to push me each morning to run or workout. My son to walk out the door with me. My brothers to encourage me to get moving. Friends who hold me accountable.

If you try to do it alone, you will likely fail. We were made to live in community with others. And community is honest. Sometimes, frighteningly so! But, it is good, and it is from the Lord. Praise Him for the village that surrounds us all as we seek to honor Him with our bodies!

No comments: