Monday, November 12, 2012

Blinded

Photo courtesy of Tracie Hicks, Loganville, Georgia

Do you remember the hymn "Amazing Grace?" My favorite line was "Twas blind but now I see!" And when I'm running, I often hear Casting Crowns "And Now My Lifesong Sings" - again my favorite line is "I once was blind but now I see"....oh how I love those words. But, the lines that grab my heart the most are from Chris Tomlin's "I Will Rise" - It says "There's a day that's drawing near when this darkness breaks to light. And the shadows disappear. And my faith shall be my eyes!" The book of Hebrews tells us that we are living in but a shadow of what is to come...I am so glad that this is not all there is! One day I will see Him clearly, and I will KNOW Him. I will no longer be blind or need faith. I will SEE!

This past week we had a team in Guatemala leading outreach to the village of Sacjavilla. The mission church there led the way with a medical clinic, construction projects and VBS for the kids. My job was to keep the medical clinic flowing smoothly which was not quite as easy as I anticipated. I ended up leading the introduction to the clinic in the triage area....as each person came in, I took his/her form, welcomed them, took their height, weight and temperature and sent them on to a nurse nearby.

Then, HE came in. The blind man. He shuffled in with a cane swiftly moving from the right to the left. On his other arm was his granddaughter who gently led him into the room. My heart broke. Tears welled up in my eyes as I thought about the daily life of not being able to see. And, God reminded me that I am still so blind in many areas. I praised Him for opening my eyes in so many ways this past year and for the places that He will unveil this next year.

Almost a year ago (the Saturday after Thanksgiving will mark the official day), God convicted our family of living in a way that did NOT glorify Him at all. We were eating mindlessly, unhealthily, and without regard for Him. Exercise was non-existent. Our attitudes and behaviors around our physical bodies were sour and rebellious. He broke our hearts. He took the blinders off our eyes. We saw, for the first time, how our disobedience was hindering God's glory in our lives.

Are there areas where you are blinded today? Maybe there's something that you do NOT want anyone holding you accountable for? A subject that you have lots of excuses/reasons/justifications to support? A place that is hidden and not open for discussion?

I have been on the other side of accountability and didn't like it one bit. When God unblinded us, the years of rebellion and disobedience came flooding back. It was overwhelming...and humbling...and embarrassing...and humiliating. It was a breaking of sorts...a breaking of our wills and desires. We had to submit to God's call on our lives for His ultimate glory. Only He could do this and get all the credit. We are weak and feeble. He is strong and enduring. We gladly accept His ways in all of this!

Take a good look at where you may be blinded today...face it and ask God to show you what He wants you to do. You never know where He will take you!

No comments: