Monday, March 11, 2013

Cheating...






Cheat meals....just those two words can bring me to my knees...for real.

As part of the way eat (certain amount of protein, carbohydrate and fats each meal day), we are allowed two cheat meals each week. We were encouraged to eat those meals on the weekend, and we have taken full advantage of that request.

Here’s what we’ve learned so far:

1. When we are totally committed to eating healthy, the cheat meals become special and are looked forward to by the whole family. We put much thought and time into where those meals will be!
2. On Friday morning our mouths begin to drool just thinking about those meals (a sure sign that we have been faithful throughout the week).
3. We prefer the term “free meal” instead of cheat meal as if we are doing something underhanded!
4. Going “crazy” over a cheat meal will cause much pain, heartburn and great discomfort later...we’ve learned that we still can’t eat fried foods or heavily sauced items or carbonated drinks (not that we’ve tried that last one yet).
5. So far our favorite meals have taken place at Joe’s Italian (Alabaster) and Steak and Shake.
6. Two cheat meals allow us something to look forward to on the weekend and help us to be focused during the week! Occasionally, when I am in the midst of a team workout on Friday morning, I think of the meal I am going to enjoy that night..it keeps me going!

If I were to eat cheat meals all week....and I HAVE done that in the past...I would be sick. It often feels heavy on my stomach and my energy gets depleted. So, these occasional treats remind me that my body does not need to eat that way frequently!

Cheat meals are really NOT a good idea if you still have a lot of weight to lose. But, if you are within eyesight of your goal and you are faithful to healthy living for the majority of the week, then cheat meals may be for you. Consult your physician and trainer to see if these would benefit you!

No comments: