Thursday, November 7, 2013

What Good Am I?

What good am I? That’s the question that many stay at home moms, especially homeschoolers, ask frequently. The church lingo would say “What’s my purpose?” It’s the same. You know that feeling of a pit in your stomach or ache in your heart like you just aren't doing all that God has designed you for? Like you are somehow missing out? Or maybe that you don't belong?

In a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram world where people post their yummy meals, perfectly dressed children and immaculate-just-redone-with-one-million-pinterest-ideas rooms, I can get easily discouraged in the daily grind. You see, I rarely post pictures (with the exception of this month of focusing on thankfulness). Why? Number one - I don’t keep my cell phone on me at all times (I hear some of you gasping. Others are saying, “No wonder she hasn’t texted me back in five days.”). So I forget. Secondly, it’s just not a priority to share with everyone how grand my life is or how mundane or how hard. I forget. I think I should document a day in our lives to show you just how awkward those photos would be...another post for another day.

Life is hard. No matter how many children you have. No matter whether you work inside or outside of the home. No matter how you school your kids. No matter whether your husband leaves for work or works from the home office. Whether you live in the city or the country. There are only 24 hours, and we all have to live in them.

So, you might be like me and wonder, “How am I supposed to DO more than I’m already doing to serve the Lord?” Of course, I’m not suggesting that you have to DO anything to earn the favor of the Lord or His unmerited grace. Focusing on the love relationship with Him through daily time alone in His presence and prayer are essential. But, how do you minister to those around you and not feel like you are just adding another checklist item to your agenda?

For me, God has reminded me of simple things that I already do on a daily basis that can be a blessing to someone else.... If you are at home, could you send a note of encouragement to a few people each week? Offer to keep a young mom’s kids while she shops alone? Take an elderly widow to the grocery store? Cut grass for an older couple? Help a newly married man set up his family budget? Start a Bible study for women/men in your area? Bake cookies and take them to the local fire department? The list could go on and on.

And here’s the kicker. Each one of us is gifted differently with different personalities...why? So that we are drawn to the areas of ministry that others are not...and they are drawn to minister in ways that we are not. See how the Body works? Everyone doing a different job all for the expressed purpose of bringing God glory!

You have a purpose and you are loved by the King of kings. He wants to use you right where you are today. Whether it’s wiping a kid’s nose for the tenth time today or listening to your neighbor over tea...encouraging a co-worker in his marriage or taking a weary momma out to lunch. Serve the Lord with gladness and know that you are a child of the Most High. Even in the mundane, He will be glorified!

No comments: