Monday, July 28, 2014

No Running...




No running for the next week for me…yikes! Just knowing that strikes fear deep within me. My mind immediately anticipates failure. And yet, that is not the case.

You see, I am in Guatemala leading a mission trip team. While sometimes we are able to run in the mornings, it is not a possibility in this particular colonia. So, I have to do strength training, stretching and other cardio (think “standing in place” or “how to use a 3 x 3 square for all of your exercises”) until I can return.

And, I am scared knowing that I will be unable to run for 7 days. I start to ponder how hard it will be to run when I come back, whether or not I will lose any of my endurance and how far behind I will be in training. Well, that’s pessimistic….and honest. The enemy gets a foothold in my thoughts and my mind races with things that do not honor the Lord. That is hard to admit but true. God always reminds me to look back at how far He has brought me. And I remember…again. He is faithful, and He will continue to be so. Praise His name!

Oh, how I wish I could tell you that training has gotten easier but it has not. I dread every single day. Well, that’s not true. I look forward to runs downtown before JT and I hit a local coffee shop for breakfast and then walk around the farmer’s market. Of course, it’s not the running I look forward to but the time with my hubby afterwards!

Although the runs are not any easier, they are progressing. I have just finished 86 miles for the month…that’s the most I’ve ever done in a month. And if I had the extra days of this month to run more, I would’ve hit 100 miles! That will be my goal for August - 100 miles!!! I’ve already built up to 25 miles per week from 15…that’s progress. And longer runs are at 8 miles already!

It’s a daily process of dying to self and surrendering to His plan for my life. I fight, I kick, I scream….and yet, when I obey, I experience great freedom in Him. Just like a child who doesn’t know what’s best, I find myself often questioning the “why” of running every day. At the same time, I am seeing His plan little by little. And I rejoice that He wakes me up each day and gives me another opportunity to honor Him.

So, I challenge you, my friends, to keep obeying. No matter how mundane, monotonous or menial it seems, your obedience is critical to your freedom in Christ. Battle on!

No comments: