Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I Had Only Heard About It.....


I’ve heard about it. I’ve even read about it. And oh, how I’ve dreamed about it. But, I have NEVER experienced it. I’ve wanted to, but it has eluded me time and time again.

One time, JT told me that it happened to him. And I was remarkably jealous. Since that day, I have longed for the same thing, but alas, I have yet to know it.

The runner’s high. Doesn't it even sound delightful. Running in such a way that you are oblivious to how far you are even running. Time seems to stand still.

And maybe I didn’t actually get the full effect, but I definitely got a glimpse of it. And it was good. And glorious. And elusive. And I want it again please.

So, here's the scoop. Yesterday, I ran two miles outside with JT near our YMCA. My calves were still aching from a 10 mile run on Saturday, and I just felt off. I didn’t feel up to par and went to walk the other two inside on the treadmill. Keep in mind that I haven’t been on the treadmill in several weeks and am actually enjoying being outside again. So, I was already feeling defeated and down. I grabbed a towel and stepped on the dreadmill with a great sense of the blahs.

I walked maybe 1/4 of a mile and decided to run just to finish earlier. Who wants to stay on the treadmill longer than necessary? But before I knew it, I had finished two more miles. And I was honestly a little shocked. What caused this? Did the treadmill miscalculate the mileage? Can I not read numbers accurately anymore?

I double-checked my Nike app, the clock on the wall, and the numbers on the treadmill. It was true. I had gone two more miles while thinking I was only at 1/2 mile.

I was watching the replay of a football game which did keep me distracted, but I don’t think that’s it. I have NO idea why it happened, but I am rejoicing that it did.

And now I want it again. Preferably in the form of 26.2 miles in January.

No comments: