Monday, January 28, 2013

Pretend It's KFC...


If you read that title, you might be confused. But, to those who know me WELL, you absolutely get it. I don't care for, dislike, abhor, cannot stand KFC. I even have trouble typing those initials, and I officially gag when I see the sign for the restaurant. At our annual homeschool cover school meeting, the leadership always sees fit to pass around buckets from THAT place, and I sit next to my friend Traci, who willingly passes it right over me. She can confirm that I have gagged in the bucket before.

Many years ago, while we were serving for a couple of months in China, I was given the task of holding KFC chicken for a class fellowship we were hosting at our apartment. The drive was an hour...the longest hour of my life...longer than adoption or birth...I promise. I chose to roll down the window and inhale body odors, diesel fuels, and smoke over smelling the KFC. It was horrific. I am still traumatized.

It's a LONG story. And, I am not sharing it here. Just know that I will gladly go with you to that place, but I will NOT be eating. And, if I get up to go to the bathroom, I may not return. I greatly despise the place and the food. And, NO you cannot fool me by putting it in a different container. I know my chicken, people.

Fast forward to this past Saturday which was Zeke and Elly's second Gotcha Day...and included a family trip to the circus. Granted it's been four years since I've attended the Big Top but wow, the temptations were amazing. The food even comes to you if you don't want to be bothered to go to the concession stand. Popcorn, cotton candy, snow cones, s'mores puffs (those looked delightful), nachos...every single unhealthy food you can name...it was there. Now granted the guy in front of us bought a water for $5 (probably because he spent the other $95 on his two daughters and wife eating every single one of those foods...did they just go say, "I'll have one of everything?"). But, I feel fairly certain that no healthy foods were to be found in the BJCC this weekend.

I was tempted, my friends. On EVERY SIDE! I felt like I couldn't breathe for a few minutes as I wanted to devour the cotton candy... So I did what came to mind first. Reach out to people who can help. I posted my thoughts and my friend, James, came to the rescue. He said, "Imagine all of the vendors as a KFC." It might not have worked for everyone, but it did the trick for me. Hallelujah! I would hear the vendors shout out their goods and all I could hear was "KFC! KFC!" Yuck! The thought repulsed me, and I gagged just thinking about it.

Sometimes all I need is a push in the right direction...a few words of encouragement...a challenging text. I am so grateful that I have that support system that helps me to stay focused on the goal at hand. Praise God for community that doesn't say, "A little won't hurt you" or "You deserve it." I need people who can hold my feet to the fire and remind me that He is conforming me to His image.

How about you? Have you fallen off the health wagon since the beginning of 2013? If so, admit it. Say it aloud...to your close friends, your family, and EVERYONE. Ask for accountability and ACCEPT it. God desires ALL of you...so get moving people and do NOT bring me KFC...I am strong enough now to hurt you.

No comments: