Thursday, January 3, 2013

Get Set!!!

1 Timothy 4:8 says, "For while physical training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." Have you already started your physical reformation of 2013? How long will it last? How long did you make it last year?

We have ALL given up at some point in our lives, and each of us has felt like a failure..time and time again. How do we move beyond that...starting and failing...more promises and prayers...starting and failing...rinse and repeat?

The answer lies in 1 Timothy 4:8. Physical training is of SOME value, but there is something far more important and of eternal significance....spiritual training in godliness. Spending time in God's Word daily, seeking Him in prayer and being part of a biblical community of growing believers will make an impact in THE Kingdom. Eternal promises versus temporary pleasures...I'll take eternity, please.

For me, the pounds were beginning to come off and I was seeing some improvement in the area of exercise in the form of being able to run longer. God was using that time with Him before running to speak to me during the run (I think it was like witnessing to someone on an airplane...you know you have the time and want to make the most of the fasten your seatbelt moments). I was out running in my neighborhood at o'dark-thirty and God was reminding me of the Scriptures I had just read that morning.

With every beat of my heart and pounding of my feet on the pavement, He was shaking me to my core. The issue was sin...no getting around it and calling it "my bad" or "so sorry"...it was MY SIN. He was showing me my sin face to face, and it was ugly and disgusting. I had allowed the enemy to take a huge foothold in my life that was diminishing my witness, causing physical harm to my family and promoting the opposite of God's Word when it comes to health. I lost it. I threw my arms out to the side and continued to run (advantage of running early...no one sees you). Tears poured out and I wept. I cried out to the Lord for forgiveness and begged Him to forget my pride, gluttony and rebellion. I asked Him to show me His ways and to help me walk in them. He lifted my shame and guilt and set me on a new path.

Twenty-five years worth of guilt, shame, rebellion and sin had led me to that point. While physical exercise would offer some value, it was the discipline of the Heavenly Father that changed me forever. His love and mercy and grace were shown to me in direct opposition to my sin and waywardness. He has given me a new insight into His Word and how He intends for me to live.

Do not put a band-aid on the problem today by dieting and exercising. It will not last. You will fail eventually. Find the root of the issue and seek God's forgiveness and grace. He will show you what He wants you to do. Following any diet plan or exercise regiment can be good, but let's do what will make an eternal difference.

On your mark...GET SET....

No comments: