Monday, May 19, 2014

A New Day







Do you know how long it takes to get your African daughter's hair done in a salon? Long enough that I've already calculated my older girls' transcripts and assured their graduation in 2015 and 2017 respectfully AND responded to 28 emails AND commented on at least a dozen Facebook statuses AND watched Elly play a pipe game on the Ipad exactly twenty-three times AND texted with friends and homeschool moms about curriculum for next year AND put all of the new reading and spelling curriculum into my cart (waiting until I can actually see ii before purchasing) AND writing this blog AND she still doesn't have her braids yet. Just in case you wanted to know. I arrived at 9:15. I think JT will have to bring me lunch and a pillow to take a nap and a charger for the Ipad and some Advil.

Anyhoo, to catch you up on my exercise regimen because I know you are all dying to know. Or could care less. Either way. I am officially running 3-4 days a week and cross training the other 2 days. One of my run days has to be speed work or hills. Neither one is enjoyable but it is helpful. It benefits my running, and so I do it. My enjoyment of discipline does not determine if I complete it or not.

Lately, I have been wrestling with a totally different issue and it involves homeschooling. Don't check out on me public/private school mommas. This is for ALL of us.

Our oldest two daughters just picked up on academics easily and succeeded with very little effort. I spent plenty of time teaching them the basics and foundational concepts. They soared quickly. They would sit in their little desks and write neat, correct answers. They were "easy."

And then God changed our lives with the addition of the three younger kids. English has not been their first language. There are boys in the mix. And different personalities. And learning styles. And who wants to sit still? Raise your hand. PLEASE, for the love of our sovereign Lord, raise your hand.

God has dealt with me in many ways this past year and one of them has been convicting my heart about the individual nature of each kid. I know that sounds simple, but I was kinda hoping that I could just group them all together and teach them with one style...you can laugh now. Each child is different and in remarkable ways. They all learn differently and at different paces. It is tiring on this momma.

So, it's like I'm starting over with them. Learning new curriculum. Figuring out a new schedule. Making the pieces fit together in such a way that I maintain my sanity, no one cries, and everyone loves to learn. Is that possible? I sure hope so.

You see, there's something bigger at stake here than academics. We NEED to learn Christ (Ephesians 4:20). How we learn as kids affects how we learn in later years. When we LOVE to learn, we will LOVE it for a lifetime. I want my kids to LOVE to learn so that as they study God's Word, they are learning Christ with the same passion (and even moreso). They will see the need to LEARN and will wholeheartedly seek after God in His Word.

Oh, Lord God Almighty, I pray for Your great wisdom and discernment to educate and train my children in such a way that they see their need for You and that they will DESIRE to LEARN you. Grant me patience and mercy to teach in such a way that You alone are glorified and honored.

(on a side note, all of these pics are old but they are the only ones I could find of the kids doing some type of schoolwork...mainly because I am just trying to survive each day and don't take many pictures under such duress)

No comments: