Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Week of the Unexpecteds

It's been two weeks since I've posted, and well, I have good reasons..or at least one. JT had knee surgery this past Monday (the 12th), and we were up early and ready to go. He had torn his meniscus at some point this summer and just kept running in spite of the pain. The ability to bear the pain decreased as time went on, yet he was still able to run a half marathon in November. The month of December brought us to the realization that a surgery was inevitable.

When the doctor came out of the operation, he told me that this was the worst case scenario for JT. While we were hoping he would be able to begin rehab immediately, it was not to be so. He is not allowed to bear any weight on his left leg for a month. Do you know what that means in man terminology? It means FOREVER AND EVER AMEN! Yes, it does.

What was my first thought? I wonder if JT can just sleep in the car while I stop at the store on the way home and buy ice cream and Whoppers and Laffy Taffy and brownie mix and anything else chocolate I can find. I wanted to pitch my neatly organized menu for the week and just eat whatever was available. And exercise...well, who has time for that when you have to take care of a recovering adult along with four other kids (the oldest is babysitting across town for a week and is unavailable to be a driver here). So, giving up was my main option.

But God, in all of His great goodness and patience with me, quieted my heart and mind on the way home. There's no need to go crazy because things didn't go as planned. I still need to eat healthy, drink plenty of water and stick to the exercise plan. And so I did. And I have. And I will continue to do so.

He is a God of consistency. He is always faithful to His great promises. He never fails. And He never will. And He can be trusted. I know that. I believe that. I will live it.

Your prayers and encouragement mean more to me than I can communicate adequately on this blog. I cherish you all.

No comments: