Monday, January 26, 2015

Stressed or Overwhelmed? Just EAT!

During a brief conversation with a friend on Facebook this week, she told me that she is an emotional eater. Wow...that immediately got my attention as I am one too.

Here's the problem with that...I am a female, so my emotions can be all over the place at any given time. I can be happy and sad in the same few seconds. Overwhelmed and content, stressed and relaxed, confused and clear-headed....no matter what the emotion, I want to eat.

Second problem...what I want to eat is NEVER healthy. I want bread with butter (lots of it), pizza covered with cheese, chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, brownies, and so much more.

So, who created me and the feelings that go with me? The Creator of the Universe. Yet, he commands us to "take every thought captive" and to be self-controlled. He demands that we take care of the temple He has given us. Yet, my flesh desires the very opposite of His statutes! And doesn't He tell us that too? Isaiah 55:8-9 says, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth,so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Just this week I have been reminded of the difficulty of controlling my thoughts. When I run or exercise, I just want to quit pretty quickly (about 5 minutes into it). I think of every excuse under the sun. Even with the best intentions of how hard to push myself and what will be accomplished, I can easily dismiss those goals within a few minutes of starting. Yet, God uses the Holy Spirit to remind me of His promises, and I trudge on. I cannot tell you that I do it with a heart of contentment or joy. In fact, it's just the opposite.

But, something inside of me changes slowly (way too slowly for my liking) as I run a few more minutes. Or I make it a mile without stopping. Or I choose a healthy food over my desires. And He is honored when I choose Him over me. Every second of every day, it is a fight to glorify Him more than myself. A fight.

You may be struggling with something different, and you find yourself in a battle of your own. Don't give up my friend. One foot in front of the other. Breathe in, breathe out. Rely on Him alone. He is all we need.

No comments: