Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Battles Wages

As I'm sweating profusely this morning during my run, God sends Proverbs 23:7 across my brain. I'm a child of the 70's (okay, I barely missed the 60's) so the KJV which says, "as a man thinketh in his heart, so he is..." came to mind. I had a hard time finding that version as it is not exactly accurate. The NASB (my personal preference) and the ESV translate this verse this way: "as he calculates in his soul, so is he."

What does that have to do with sweating and jogging and fighting the battle of healthy living to the glory of Christ? EVERYTHING!!! This battle is primarily waged in the forefront of the mind. It is not a matter of just not eating certain things or exercising or drinking lots of water. This battle is about my thoughts and desires. I must "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:4).

There are areas where I don't struggle with thoughts like others...I have never considered shoplifting and am not tempted by it. I've never been tempted to cut myself for comfort or to purge my body from overeating. But, I DO struggle every day, hour, minute with a thought that tends to favor laziness or the "easy" way. I choose the fastest method, the easiest route, the way I know more, or the most convenient food I can see. For years I have NOT EVEN THOUGHT about what I was eating or how much. I have eaten mindlessly with no consideration of what I was eating and how it was glorifying God. Instead of taking the time to see if the food was nutritionally good for my body, I just ate it because it was there or because I wanted it.

No MORE! If God's Word says to glorify God with my body, then I must start the battle with my mind. I must capture those thoughts of junk food or laziness or apathy or overeating with a focus on His Word and His promises. One of my friends today said that she was learning to "love God more than chocolate cake." For some people the depth of that statement doesn't mean much...to me, it speaks volumes. I'm with her, and I agree. I will FIGHT this battle because it is God's plan. I cannot gloss over or ignore or explain away God's Word about our bodies. I must submit and obey.

Battle On!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will stand with you in battle any day! Last night as CR we discussed addictions and why people relapse! A food addiction is no different than any other "drug" of choice! Most people relapse because they have not given their hearts and minds completely over to their new life! They often hold on to that desire! The I want/need it! I think the worst part is the desire! I love chocolate cake! I love Jesus more! Now mare than ever I have the desire to live a healthily lifestyle so I can be a good example for Shay! God opened my eyes over the past week and 1/2 since he was diagnosed. We as a family do not eat healthy!

Missi said...

This is truth! I barely got through my work out this morning. The myriad of discouraging thoughts were making me physically tired! I wanted to run to pancakes afterwards, but instead I ran to God's word and found hope there. Onwardn