Monday, June 18, 2012

It's a new day



















Do you ever have a day that goes so awry that you formally request a do-over from God? Like you sit down and beg Him to allow all of it to be a bad dream? Okay, maybe I'm the only one. But, it hasn't just been one day..it's been a lot of days...more than I can count.

Oh the regret I have over the many, many, many times I ate without thinking of how much I was eating or what I was eating or if it was even something God wanted me to eat. I feel great guilt over the numerous occasions that I taught my children to choose convenience over health/nutrition. And, should I even talk about the million times I failed to exercise and take care of my body? Probably not.

I feel guilty for one reason...I AM guilty... Most people feel guilt because they are guilty. I stood before a holy God and had to admit that I had sinned. Blatantly, defiantly, and without question. I had no excuse and no reason. Nothing. I was declared guilty of pride, gluttony, neglect and laziness. I was found guilty because I was guilty. I had sinned and had led others into sin (my family). I modeled the sins for them and encouraged them to sin likewise. Uuuggh. Guilty as charged.

But, one of the amazing characteristics of God is His ever-giving mercy. Lamentations 3:22-23 reminds us "Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Hallelujah, and praise His name! He is a loving God who allows us to sleep and experience His new mercies EVERY day! If we awake in the morning, we have been given another day to glorify Him and to honor Him in all that we do.

I am so thankful for our God's mercy which has spared our lives on earth up until now (I'm praying daily though that He will return for His bride). While I am still allowed to breathe here, I must do everything He demands and that includes making sure my body is honoring to Him. As I look back over the pictures from the last year, I am reminded of where we were as a husband and wife. In these photos I believe we weighed over 330 lbs and 200 lbs respectively.

Since that time JT has lost 89 pounds...is that incredible or what? I am SO PROUD of him. He weighs less now than I have EVER known him to weigh. He is only 3 lbs away from the weight that he was when he entered Samford as a freshman 27 years ago! I am down 54 lbs, and I feel great. We both have more energy than ever and don't face the same struggles with food as we did. We do not REQUIRE a nap every afternoon (although those are still appreciated every now and then). We still wobble when it comes to the desire to exercise, but we are growing in that area too. We set out our workout gear the night before and stumble out of bed (generally moaning along the way) and hit the road. We ALWAYS feel better afterwards and thankful for the ability to run.

Praise be to God alone for His great mercy in giving us a second chance! Do you need one today?

No comments: