Monday, June 23, 2014

When Life Stinks!



When was the last time you had a week that just stunk? It was hard. It was exhausting. You were done. Finished. No more.

Obviously from the question you can tell that I had one of those weeks. It was a doozy. And I have a tendency to get down and out when things are overwhelming. I was biding my time each day until the littles went to bed.

Without JT, things get rough. And the younger kids thought they would pick this past week to act out accordingly. How thoughtful of them.

There were a myriad of things that went wrong…dead wrong…all week long. And I thought about praying those psalms where David is crying out to the Lord to kill his enemies. Only my enemies were loads of laundry, a worrying mind (my own), the absence of my husband, a constantly sick kiddo and several little people who shall remain nameless. I decided not to go the “kill my enemies” route.

Instead, God reminded me of His Sovereignty in His Word. As we are reading through Deuteronomy, we hear Moses remind the people OVER and OVER and OVER again about God’s rules and commands for them. It is a repeat of Leviticus basically. They’ve had forty years to review the laws…you would think they would’ve gotten it. But, they did not. They turn away from Him so easily and quickly.

And so do I. I grumble and complain. I am selfish. I am full of pride. I worry. I get easily frustrated. I sin. I sin again. I sin again and again. I forget God’s faithfulness. I neglect His Word.

But, He remains faithful and draws me close. I read His Word, seek Him in prayer and hear from fellow believers who push me to go deeper with Him. His Word is so good to show us His character:


“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” -Philippians 4:6

“The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.” -Psalm 145:9

“For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.” - Psalm 100:5

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." -Proverbs 3:5


As I peer until the next 7 days, I don't want to live just waiting for the day to be over. I desire to have a heart and attitude that magnify Him despite the circumstances of life. No matter what happens this week, I KNOW this. He is God, and He is good. He is faithful when life seems good and He is faithful when life seems hard. He loves us and He wants us to be in a daily relationship with Him. Whatever He chooses to do is for His ultimate glory and our good. I will trust Him.

No comments: