Monday, June 30, 2014

The Marathon Looms





Running a half marathon in November of 2012 was one of the most nerve-wracking yet exciting times in my life! God had broken me many months before, and the training had been complete. I laid my clothes out the night before and rehearsed the run in my head. My fears of not finishing or embarrassing myself replayed over and over in my mind. But, God’s faithfulness was even more overwhelming. And it was good.

Fast forward two months later, and Kaitlyn and I ran the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon at Disney. It was a magical time and something I will never forget! Disney knows how to run a race WELL, and we were not disappointed.

Even though we’ve run a few races here and there, our running over the past year has been spotty at best. Just like the Israelites of the Old Testament, I need to be reminded EVERY SINGLE DAY that my body is the temple of the Lord, and it is my responsibility to honor Him with what He has given me.

Thus, He led us to sign up for a marathon in January of 2015. And I can tell you this without hesitation…I am frightened…I am scared…I am anxious. And I don’t think I’m alone, but I could be dead wrong. When I cannot see what is coming, I worry. I allow the enemy to take root at times, and he can sink in deep very quickly. But, the One who is greater always shows Himself to me in His Word. He reminds me that He is faithful. He will sustain. He will bring glory to Himself. All that is required of me is obedience.

Obedience doesn’t show mean running the marathon. Obedience is the daily run…the get up and go run whether you feel like it or not run…the I’m not interested in your excuses run…the mundane…the monotonous..the boring.

For it is in the every day routine that endurance is slowly built. Each step builds a foundation that grows stronger with every run. Every completed run is a stepping stone to a great one that is to come.

So, I run. And sometimes I do it with a great attitude. Other times, my outlook stinks! But, I must continue…and run..and run some more. For the prize is out of sight right now, but each day brings it closer…and closer…and closer.

No comments: