Thursday, January 6, 2011

What to do, what to do....

Over the past 10 days, I'm been sick with walking pneumonia. And, I mean sick...really sick. I spent two days not even getting out of bed. When I went to the doctor and the receptionist asked me to sign it, I just about came unglued. I asked her if she could do it for me. So, it's been VERY difficult to even concentrate much less do anything for our upcoming trip. I've been dictating a lot of list and sending emails.

Part of those emails was a combination one to both friends who have darker skin and parents of children with darker skin. Now, for the purpose of clarification, we have raised our children NOT to call people by their skin color (that's a white girl, he's a black boy). Our reasoning is this....whenever you see someone else, if you immediately identify that person by their color, then that becomes important. It is not important here. We don't want children to see the differences in people but the sameness as God created it. So, that's my soapbox.

Now, back to the email. I was feeling very overwhelmed by the notion of two new children entering our home and Mom having NO clue what to do for hair and skin care. I was clueless. While normally I would just research the information on the web, I didn't have the time or energy. I just needed someone to tell me what to do and what to buy. Give me some lessons and put the needed items in my cart....

Friends came to the rescue. The facebook and email message I sent to other Moms was answered with lots of details and even pictures...I kid you not! It was the best. Several other moms including Michelle W (adopted a little girl from Uganda), Stephanie A (adopted a little boy from the US), Blair K (foster care for 2 boys from the US), Traci (one adopted and one foster care from the US), and Andrea B (adopted a boy from Ethiopia and a girl from Haiti) gave me a wealth of information! I was overwhelmed by how much I had to learn. They were so kind and gracious and full of insight and wisdom!

My friend, April Holloway, met JT and I last night at Walmart. Armed with all of the information from my friends, I was ready to shop. April gave us even more information and lessons on hair and skin care. I'm sure we were a sight to those passing by....it was like school for grownups....much needed and even more appreciated! We bought all the supplies needed - shampoo, moisturizer, hairbrush, etc! It was amazing, and I feel relief!

Thank you to all of my friends for flooding us with great information! You will never know how much you are appreciated! I'm so thankful for you!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love the concept of teaching your kids to not identify people by their skin color. Great ideas!