Thursday, April 4, 2013

Haggai is for me....




We jumped into last night's study with the stunning fact that not many women alive (or dead, for that matter) are satisfied with every part of their bodies. Now that you are shocked to your core, keep reading!

We are not supposed to get our satisfaction from the way our bodies look. True satisfaction only comes from obedience to the Lord. If I allow myself to get caught up on any part of my body (and my dissatisfaction with it), I am allowing the enemy to get a firm grip on me. He will slowly move in with the lie that all of my efforts are not worth it and ask that age-old question, "Does it REALLY matter""

The most frustrating part of exercise for most of us has been half-hearted efforts that led to only mediocre results. We are always looking for the least amount of work for the most results! Infomercials sell billions of dollars of exercise equipment and pills each year because we are looking for the easy way out.

I must rely on God’s strength which will replace my excuses step by step as I obey Him! Begin with an undivided heart. I can either be loyal to the Lord and taking care of my body in a way that honors Him or give in to cravings, desires, laziness and excuses!

Our time in Made to Crave led us straight to the book of Haggai. Have you spent much time there? I have NOT. But, Haggai was written not only for the Israelites who had come home but for you and me. There's a clear message to us.

Haggai was written to God's people to call them to accountability concerning their priorities. They were finally back in the Promised Land, and instead of focusing on rebuilding God's temple FIRST (as He told them to do), they built their own homes. Because the temple was not going to be glorious and spectacular like the one Solomon built, the people were disheartened and discouraged. They longed for the days of old but didn't even bother doing the work.

The prophet begged the people to turn from their wicked ways and trust in God's sovereignty. Verses 4-6 in chapter 1 tells us, "Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains a ruin? Now this is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Give careful thought to your ways. You have planted much, but have harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.'"

Ouch!!! Even though this temple would not be as ornate as Solomon's, verse 9 of chapter says, "'The glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former house,' says the LORD Almighty. 'And in this place I will grant peace,' declares the LORD Almighty."
God was at work, and He desired the people to join Him!

How do you need to readjust your priorities today so that rebuilding your temple is shown as important? How can you change one thing in your life to honor God with your body? Confess your ways to Him and ask Him to show you what to do! Then, OBEY!!! And, obey ALL the way, RIGHT away, and with a CHEERFUL heart. Oh, I'm preaching to myself! I long to be a woman who relies on God more than food. I desire to battle the enemy when he says, "Quit!" and God's strength prods me onward.

Lord, I am weary of eating healthy and exercising daily. I want to sleep more, eat more and just be lazy. I admit my desire for things of this world and not for You. You alone are my strength, and I WILL trust in You. I love you more than I love doughnuts or chocolate or ice cream. I want to long for you every second of every day. Show me Your ways that I may walk in them. Guide me to honor You always.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Sheryl,
It is such a treat to read your posts! You are a great example to many. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, wisdom, funny stories and truth with us!
Joy