Friday, February 1, 2013

What is going on?



I have them. You probably have them. Those moments when you eat something and you are not even hungry. The first thought that pops into my mind is food...junk food..something gooey and chocolate..or marshmallows...or ice cream. I am experiencing one of those "continuous onslaught of desire to eat" moments. It is hard. For some people this must NOT be an issue. I do not know any of those people, but I am convinced that they are a major part of my world. They surround me and taunt me constantly. I think.

So I state truths in light of my feelings:

1. My feelings do not control me and do not define me.
2. I have a degree in counseling, for the love. Surely, I can fix this.
3. Jesus, I know that You are enough. So why am I hungry? Why can't I be satisfied in You alone?
4. I have had plenty of food today. Why am I hungry?
5. Why do I desire junk food?

One of the premises of Lysa TerKeurst's book, Made to Crave, is that we need to recognize the triggers that cause us to feel this way. So, I'm digging people, digging deep. Here are the instigators:

1. I wake up.
2. I breathe.
3. I exercise.
4. I homeschool.
5. I am a wife.
6. I am a mother.
7. I am a woman.
8. I am a friend.
9. I am a Christ-follower (okay, that should be number one but I am just putting them as they come to mind)
10. I sleep.

Those are my triggers. Every one of them. See a pattern? It's because I EXIST that I am having these moments. I am a child of the King, the Lord of Lords and the Prince of Peace. He has an enemy, and since He lives within me, I have an enemy too. He does not want me to succeed or to glorify God in any way. So, He attacks. He hits me where it is the hardest FOR ME. He knows my weaknesses, and he exploits them. He uses and abuses them.

I must stand firm in the face of adversity and the adversary. I will not give up that easily. I will speak God's Word to the one who is the father of lies.

-Psalm 100:5 says, "For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations."
-2 Timothy 2:13 promises, "He is faithful even when we are faithless for He cannot deny Himself."
-John 6:35 Jesus said, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst."
-Philippians 4:19 states "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
-Matthew 6:26 says ""Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?"

Oh precious are the promises of God that I can cling to when I feel desperate! Precious are they at ALL times! I am so thankful that He feeds me from His Word and reminds me of His provision. Trust in Him today. Rest in His Word. That IS ENOUGH!

No comments: